How Often Do You Wash Your Hair? (+ Expert Recommendations!)
How often you should wash your hair is a timeless question. Latest research reveals that we wash our hair more often now than was the case 30-40 years ago. Today, there are various opinions about this topic, but at the end of the day it seems to come down to personal preference. It is a good idea however to be aware of the pitfalls of either washing your hair too frequently or not enough. Let’s explore the opinions so that we can make an informed decision about washing our hair.
You can get away with washing your hair every second day. You should however be careful to rinse your hair thoroughly otherwise it will end up greasy due to the shampoo or conditioner residual. Hair is quite similar to fiber and if you wash fiber too often it is bound to start looking threadbare after a while. This fact supports not washing your hair too often. Some dermatologists speak against washing your hair everyday as it does not do your scalp any good. Limp hair might need washing more regularly as it can flop within a day or two of washing. If you have long, thick and curly hair, you can get away with less washing as it will hold its shape and look good for longer.
Wash Your Hair Everyday?
Marilyn Sherlock (Chairperson of the Institute of Trichologists) believes you should wash your hair daily. She says that if you brush your teeth everyday and shower every day, why not do the same with your hair? She does suggest that women with dry hair can get away with less washing as the hair will look cleaner for longer. It is therefore safe to conclude that, if you have oily hair, you can wash it everyday without damaging your hair.
Avoid These Costly Hair Washing Mistakes
To keep your hair in tip top shape, you should avoid making these common hair washing / grooming mistakes.
- Unless you groom your hair every night, you should sleep on a silk pillowcase. Cotton pillow cases tend to make your hair dry and the silk will maintain volume and moisture. This is a handy tip which does not involve any extra work on your part.
- Do not use a towel to dry or wrap your hair in. Towels are rough and therefore harsh on your hair. Rather use a clean old T shirt to dry or wrap your hair in.
- If you insist on washing your hair daily purely for the sake of your hair smelling nice, use a lightweight shampoo. The ingredients in lightweight shampoos are much more gentle on your hair than heavier shampoos. Washing your hair everyday strips your hair of its natural oils. If you are insistent about your hair smelling good use a dry shampoo which won’t damage your hair and will leave it smelling fresh and beautiful.
- Lastly, wash your scalp, not your hair. Washing your hair all the way to the tips will dry your hair out. The scalp is where the roots are and this is where the excess grease is. Focus on the scalp and your hair will be just fine.
You can put some baby powder or dry shampoo on your hair to absorb any excess oil. This can help you to avoid washing your hair everyday.
Must-Have Hair Care Products
- Don’t use a coarse brush to brush your hair as this will break your hair. Avoid using a metal brush if you blow dry your hair as the metal gets hot and causes untold damage to your hair. Use a soft brush that has tiny balls on the end of each bristle. This will be gentle enough when you brush your hair.
- A gloss treatment will get the shine in your hair back in no time.
- The best way to deal with split ends is to cut them. You can however apply split hair mender to hold the hair together. Not only will it reduce the appearance of split ends, it will moisturize your hair too.
- The best way to treat damaged hair is to do a deep conditioning once a week. This way you will protect your hair for a few days and keep the dryness away.
- As mentioned earlier, wrapping your hair in a towel does more harm than good. Rather get yourself a microfiber hair towel as this will absorb the water super fast without causing damage to your hair.
- Many of the conventional shampoos out there simply strip your hair of its natural oils. Natural oils are essential as they keep your hair looking healthy and shiny. Rather opt for shampoos that will restore or repair your hair. These shampoos thicken your hair, repair split ends and protect your hair.
Hair Washing Takeaway
We can see that how often you wash your hair comes down to personal preference and how oily your hair is. The real secret is to look after your hair by washing it with the right shampoo and taking care of your hair on a daily basis. If you follow these tips you are sure to enjoy beautiful and healthy hair for years to come.
Like our tips? Please do share it with your friends and on social media!